Tuesday, November 8, 2016

one person's "ewww" is another person's "squee"


How do you feel about crows? I have a friend-since-childhood who loves them so much she squeals with delight every time she sees one, even stopping her car on the highway to beckon to them and feed them and coo at them. They actually seem to trust her and will approach her, even at first meeting.

She made me promise to paint a crow etegami for her birthday this year. I reluctantly agreed, but it took me a long time to get inspired. Before I knew it, her birthday had come and gone. Once the pressure was off, I was suddenly painting crows on everything, including these drink coasters. My friend loves to drink wine, and coasters seemed an appropriate gift for her. But I can't imagine anyone else in the world wanting to rest their wineglass on a crow coaster. What do you think?


18 comments:

  1. Like all your work, I think the crow coasters are charming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacki. There turns out to be quite a few crow fans after all. I find them fascinating, but they also scare me a little. They have done quite a bit of damage to people and property here.

      Delete
  2. And why not? Your work is wonderful, whatever the topic :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely and crows are amazing, so intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful. All creatures have their good points - we are the ones who 'label' them. Love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I've always thought they were beautiful and intelligent. My only problem is that they attack us during nesting season, whether we are just trying to get in or out of our house, or taking a walk in the neighborhood.

      Delete
  5. You may enjoy Ch. 8 of Konrad Lorenz's classic _King Solomon's Ring_. Your wonderful coasters inspired me to return to this memorable relationship between the naturalist and the several types of black birds of his acquaintance, which I first read in our homeschool. Thanks for sharing your art! http://s-f-walker.org.uk/pubsebooks/pdfs/Konrad_Lorenz_King_Solomon's_Ring.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for introducing me to this book! I will try to track down a copy for sure.

      Delete
    2. One can read it entirely online I believe

      Delete
  6. I actually have multiple friends ( and myself ) who would be thrilled to have a set! Crows are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cool. So many more crow fans out there than I had imagined!

      Delete
  7. I like crows too. We used to talk to one another when I was a kid. Loving the coasters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments and kind approval of my work. I'm even more motivated to paint crows now, and may start working on a long-term, crows-in-each-season theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the crow coasters AND the Scripture -- you never cease to amaze me, Debbie! I used to see crows as "not good", but since discovering Etegami, I have much more appreciation-respect-love for all nature, including crows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I especially love the baby ones you painted! ❤️

    ReplyDelete