Friday, April 1, 2011

illustration friday (duet)


Yes! How did you guess? I painted two fava beans (i.e. broad beans) singing a duet! heh heh. In Japanese, these beans are called sora-mame (sky beans), presumably because the bean pods sprout upward, towards the sky.

I've always thought sora-mame look like they have a mouth at one end. A laughing mouth. Or a singing mouth. So I gave some thought to what kind of song a Japanese fava bean would sing-- especially in times like these. The song that came to mind was Ue wo muite arukou (namida ga koborenai youni), which translates to "I shall walk with my face turned upward (to keep my tears from spilling)."

It was made famous by the singer Kyu Sakamoto, becoming the number one ranked song in Japan in 1961. It also became a huge hit in the United States in 1963 under the [stupid] title of Sukiyaki.

17 comments:

  1. Debbie, they almost look like 'human beans'. :p
    nice colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I remember that song! My dad would sing it when I was a kid. Now, when I look at fava beans ... or any beans for that matter, I'll remember him ... and this great duet painting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is funny - great illo and great meditation on the fava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant and touching.
    The perfect song, despite the Americanized title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the green of your beans!!! wonderful work!!! that is a neat saying......thank you for the lesson today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't let Anthony Hopkins see them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I listened to the song, it is perfect for your illustration. So much character (as usual).

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm gorgeous. love the bright colour

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment on my blog - glad I've found yours! Beautiful work.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fava beans. . .a very nice duet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hee hee! Love the smiling fava beans!
    This song brings back fond memories of another "duet." My friend and I could never whistle along without cracking up! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol- love the beans ! Hope you are doing well as you are in N Japan

    ReplyDelete
  13. When the dog bites: When the bee stings. I simply remember my Fava Beans.... then I don’t feel so bad. I can hear them singing now. Nice one Deb. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice beans, and a nice piece of art. I am imagining a nice yummy japanese meal now starting with the beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a wonder. I love each and every one of my visits to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie!!! I have been thinking of you! My goodness. I kept looking for you in the blogs. I realized I do not have your link. I am so glad I found your comment at Sarah Mehlings. I hope you are safe. I love your art. I should really follow. I am so glad to see you are safe. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I Love these beans, I can hear them sing!

    ReplyDelete