Wednesday, June 23, 2010

illustration friday (paisley)


Random references on Twitter to something called Illustration Friday led me to an interesting site for people who like to draw. The top page explains the site's purpose:

Illustration Friday is a weekly creative outlet/participatory art exhibit for illustrators and artists of all skill levels. It was designed to challenge participants creatively... No one judging the outcome of the work. It's a chance to experiment and explore and play with visual art. So welcome, novices and pros alike.

It appears that a new topic is suggested each week. Participating artists create visual art that incorporates the topic and post it on their own blogs, which are then linked to the Illustration Friday site so others can find it.

It sounded fun to me, so I signed up. Then I noticed this week's topic: PAISLEY. Paisley? What do I know of paisley? Isn't that some kind of corny pattern you used to see in old-fashioned clothes? It is soooo not my style. Oh well, let's google it anyway, and see what I learn. What I learned was interesting enough that images started forming in my head. The droplet shape brought leaves and petals to mind, so I developed that image and chose an appropriate quote from a favorite poet. If not for Illustration Friday, I would never have thought of using paisley as a theme in etegami. It was fun!

10 comments:

  1. Debbie, from the looks of things, you know everything you ever needed to know about paisley. I love how you juxtapose the paisley against Frost's quote of petals and leaves. Interesting and beautiful!

    What a great find re: Illustration Friday! I'm so glad you posted this info on Twitter. Now I'm going to check out Illustration Friday as well as come up with some mailart to send to you. Love that we connect via the arts: books, writing, and images. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra, it'd be wonderful if you could send me mailart. I didn't realized we were connected by a love of visual art as well as the literary arts. That is sooo cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paisley is so good fit with etagami concept, I like it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hitomi! I looked at your blog and saw that you submitted to IF for the first time too. Nice work. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply gorgeous! I hope to see more of your etegami!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @aeneadellaluna...yes, it does, doesn't it. I think paisley originates in India. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. @michele...thanks bunches for your comment. Come back to visit again and again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought one of your pieces on Ripple! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete