Thursday, October 20, 2016

persimmon pudding pie


The snow bugs were right. We had our first snowfall in the city last night. Thick, heavy, wet snow. This snow will melt before the long-term, lingering snow comes; the snow that won't melt until spring. We call the long-term snow ne-yuki, which literally means "rooted snow" (snow that has taken root).

Along with the ne-yuki, winter brings persimmons. We get a big box of them from friends in Shikoku every year. Persimmons go from unripe to over-ripe very quickly, so I've learned to incorporate them into our winter menu in many forms so as not to waste a single fruit.

Once they become too soft even to peel or slice (just before they start to rot), I grip the fruit in my hand and squeeze the flesh out of the skin into a bowl. Fresh or frozen, this pulp becomes the basis for one of my favorite winter desserts: persimmon pudding pie-- a bit of sunshine to brighten our long, dark, freezing Hokkaido winters.


9 comments:

  1. Could you share the recipe? I have a great one for persimmon bread/muffins I would be happy to share back. I have a smooshy persimmon right now that I want to use, actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy to share. My basic recipe (I improvise each time I make it, so it's never exactly the same) goes like this: 2 cups over-ripe persimmon pulp, pureed. 1 cup flour. 1 cup light brown sugar (san-on-tou). 1/2 cup milk. 1 Tablespoon melted butter. 1 teaspoon baking soda. Stir dry ingredients together before adding to remaining ingredients in a blender. Blend well. Add a teaspoon of orange essence, or grated lemon peel, or grated yuzu peel or whatever for more interesting flavor. Pour into a pre-baked pie crust and bake in 180 C (350 F) oven for 1 hour or more over a shallow pan of hot water. Use toothpick method to test done-ness.

      Delete
    2. I also make persimmon bread, persimmon muffins, persimmon cheesecake, crunchy persimmon and rice paper wraps, dried persimmons stuffed with walnuts and butter (or cream cheese), and on and on.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the recipe. It sounds very easy to make, and so yummy!
      My persimmon bread recipe calls for:
      1-1/2 c persimmon puree, 1 egg, 1 c sugar, 1/2 c butter, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cloves, 2 c flour, 2 tsp baking soda, nuts and raisins (opt).
      Bake at 350 F (180 C) 20 min for muffins, 1 hr for loaf.
      12 slices. 1 slice 270 calories, 7 g fat (my own calculation)

      Delete
  2. lovely looking etegami, delicious sounding pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debby-san, thanks a lot for your persimmon etegamis, your recipe of persimmon pie, for your inspiration and for your perseverance.
    Here in Guarulhos, Brazil, Spring just have started and in December we will are in Summer (so hot!!). So seeing your autumn etegami cards refresh in more than one ways.
    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice to get a comment from you, Lucia! I see that we must each persevere this season - Brazil's hot summer and Hokkaido's long, cold winter. Etegami helps me find things to be thankful for in every season. I'm sure you find small pleasures in your hot season too. Hang in there!

      Delete