Thursday, May 1, 2014

more cross-inspiration

My last post was about the rare pleasure of receiving mailart that is a specific response to an etegami the sender has received from me, a mailart dialogue that I hope to develop further in my next etegami to the same person.

In the meantime, however, I received this art card (above) from Fumiko Koga, a different mailart friend whose signature style is cut-paper art. It, too, is a specific response to an etegami she received from me just a week earlier, one from my whimsical house series (see below). You can see how she converted my image to suit her own medium and sense of whimsy. The accompanying words, too, are a Japanese version of the same Irish blessing that I quoted on my card.

Whether intentional or not, borrowing and lending is always going on among us. The honor is greater, of course, when the borrower recognizes and acknowledges the debt of inspiration. This is not limited to art, but extends to just about everything. Can you think of an example in your life?

1 comment:

  1. Yes it can apply to photography too... it's perhaps and certainly less creative but it can lead to some thinking about what we see in a picture which can be perceived quite differently by someone else.

    ReplyDelete