Thursday, February 16, 2012

ex libris


I have long been fascinated with bookplates, although I've only just begun experimenting with making my own. Here are my first tentative designs based on traditional Ainu motifs. Should I add color? Or should I leave them as they are?

According to Wikipedia Jp, the concept of bookplates was first introduced to Japan in 1900, in a literary journal called Myojo, and the Japan Bookplate Society (for the study and collecting of bookplates) was established in 1922. I have never seen a Japanese book with a bookplate. Usually they are marked with inked rubber stamps.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I'm thinking they need a little color somewhere. What about a pastel background so the black outlines pop? But that might not fit into the traditional way of doing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brings back memories of bookplates in hymnals at church--usually as a memorial to someone. I like your designs and am looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a hint of color, but not too much. These are very nice! The top one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be nice to print them out in b/w, then add color so each is an original. I especially like the top one.

    ReplyDelete