The coastal city of Tamano in Okayama prefecture, in conjuction with the Japan Etegami Society, is calling for Etegami on the theme of the Sea. There is no fee to enter. There are no prizes. Submissions will not be returned. All submissions will be exhibited from October 30 to November 7, 2010 at two locations in Tamano city.
How to submit to this call:
- Submissions will be accepted from May 6 to August 31, 2010
- Only one submission per person is allowed
- Size of etegami should be approximately 10cm x 15cm (4 in x 6 in)
- Write the name of your prefecture/country and your own name in the bottom 1 cm of the card, on the same side as the artwork.
- On the address side of the card, write the address in the center-to-right half of the card (in Japanese as shown in the attached image) and your own complete address, name, and age in smaller letters in the lower left.
- It doesn't matter if you use the card vertically or horizontally for your artwork.
- The postage stamp must be on the addressed side of the card (not on the image side), and the card should not be placed in an envelope.
The sample etegami on the printed announcement are of images as varied as a lighthouse, a tropical fish, a swimsuit and beach ball, suntanned feet, sun setting on the horizon, seafood platter, shellfish-- giving you an idea of how far and wide you can go with the sea-theme. You can see that some of the samples break many of the guidelines of traditional etegami (such as not filling in the background). So feel free to draw in any style you like.
If you are unable to write the address in Japanese letters, use the following romanized address:
Dai 25-kai Kokumin Bunkasai, Tamano-shi Jikko-iinkai Jimukyoku
Uno 1-27-1 , Tamano-shi, Okayama-ken, 706-8510 JAPAN
I plan to submit something. You should too. It will be fun!