Monday, August 14, 2017

cover art

Pablo Picasso
For the cover of the Stamp People desk calendar, a horizontal image gives better balance than a vertical image. So I tried doing horizontal collages in the same style as the vertical cards, with a limited color palate matching the stamp being used. But, after several attempts along those lines, I feel in my gut that the cover art needs more dynamism and color.

So right now, I'm trying to choose between the two stamp people cards posted here. I did them on washi cards that are double the width of the ones I used for the inside pages of the calendar, so that I could fit more action and color without making them feel too cramped.

The postage stamps themselves (from old Czechoslovakia) are about twice the size of most of the stamps I used for the images on the inner pages. I could give you the full context that inspired my images-- passages from which I distilled the words used on the cards. But you can easily google them to track down the sources. Is that mean? heh heh

Anyway, if you have a preference for the cover art, let me know. I sure do appreciate all the feedback you gave me on which stamp people to use for the inner pages. I love it that so many of you are participating in this project.


Ernest Hemingway

12 comments:

  1. Of course I love both, Debbie! But if forced to choose I would pick Pablo Picasso, by a hair.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacki! Thanks for your feedback. It looks like Picasso is everyone's favorite!

      Delete
  2. I'm new to your list. I love both but prefer "Grow ripe not old" ...most likely because I'm becoming 'ripe'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, me too! I haven't figured out yet how to separate the two, or if it's even possible, despite Picasso's clever words.

      Delete
  3. The chicken is my favorite-- Grow Ripe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela. The crazy chicken seems to have won everyone's hearts. Maybe it will help us to go into 2018 laughing.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Therese! Humor and vivid color is a powerful combination.

      Delete
  5. I'll side with the majority because it is a striking image with a good message, but I personally relate to the hawk too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the hawk. I can relate to it on a deeper level than the Picasso one actually. I notice that bright colors seem to appeal more to Americans than the somewhat melancholy tones we tend to use in Japanese folk art.

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness. Just when I thought you'd given us the best . . . They're fun! So much fun I laughed the moment I saw the words and the top of the cockscomb. You lifted my spirits! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete