Wednesday, May 3, 2017

towel brush koinobori


This big-eyed blue fish is my latest koinobori etegami. Koinobori are carp-shaped windsocks that are flown from flag poles for Children's Day Festival, symbolizing parents' hopes that their children (especially sons) will grow up to have perseverance, strength, and courage. I used a "towel brush" instead of the standard writing brush for the lines in this one. A towel brush is made by fastening a bit of terrycloth towel around the tip of a chopstick. It has the advantage of being hard to control and gives me the awkward lines I love so much. The writing says: "The Word of the Lord is my Lifeline"

Below, you can see two more koinobori etegami out of the many I've painted in past years:


4 comments:

  1. These are so creative, colorful and expressive ~ love your work ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a Happy Weekend ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your towel brush sounds like a torture device, and oddly appealing. I may have to try this out. Beautiful wind socks!

    ReplyDelete