Monday, August 22, 2016

late summer etegami


I missed my chance to send out the traditional mid-summer greeting cards (shochuu mimai) this year, but when I finally pulled myself out of the hot weather doldrums, I found I still had time to send out late-summer greeting cards (zansho mimai). These two types of summer greetings are explained in this post from three years ago. You still have time to send out your own!


The dragonfly etegami is from early July, when the dragonflies started swarming in Atsuta on the Japan Sea coast where I often go to paint. I was puzzled because it seemed far too early in the year to see dragonflies in such numbers, and I still don't have an explanation for it. The accompanying words say "It's far too early for dragonflies, isn't it?" The background colors represent the sunset because dragonflies are often associated with sunsets in Japanese children's songs, and Atsuta is particularly famous for its sunsets.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the great information and stunning examples of etegami. I am excited to be learning so much and looking toward having a wonderful new form of art expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dragonflies are so magical - especially with the sunset background and your story of where you were adds a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, I saw a course offering for Etegami at a local Arts Center, and I had never heard of it before. That was yesterday, and I have been scouring the Internet for information and examples. You have been such an amazing resource for me! I tried my first painting with ink and brush this evening (the one tomato that has grown in my garden, ha!), and am planning to take the Art Center's class in the fall. I am very excited about this, as mail art and art practice!

    ReplyDelete