Monday, April 25, 2016

fun with frames



Usually I approve of the simplest of frames for displaying etegami. Paper board covered in washi, with elastic stretched across the four corners to hold the etegami in place. Or maybe a very simple woven bamboo frame (flattish bamboo baskets make great etegami frames).

But sometimes I decorate store-bought wood frames, like the one in the photo at the top, especially when I have a specific etegami in mind. All I did was draw cat paws on the white frame with a permanent black marker. Then I recycled an old-ish but well-loved cat etegami to fit the frame's small-ish 9cm x 9cm dimensions.

Other times, I decorate with a season or mood in mind, trusting that the resulting frames will work with etegami that I have yet to create. I decorated the two box frames in the second photo by affixing shapes cut from hand-dyed washi using store-bought hole punchers.

Do you make original frames to go with your original art? If so, maybe you wouldn't mind sharing some of your favorite techniques and materials with me.


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I buy garage sale frames and they inspire the art that I create to go inside. Sometimes I paint the frames, but usually going with whatever the frame is in the first place. I like what you've done with these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 'weapon of mouse destruction!' Lovely frames too. I often use 2nd hand frames just as they are, but once I used the same pretty paper both to cover the frame and then in a collage that I put in the frame.

    ReplyDelete