Wednesday, July 20, 2011

drift ice tour map


When the water of Siberia's great Amur River flows into the Sea of Okhotsk, it freezes into chunks of ice. These chunks bump into each other and combine into ever-larger chunks which drift southward to the coast of Hokkaido, Japan from mid-January to March. Those who are willing to brave Hokkaido's frigid winter temperatures can experience this silvery-blue wonderland of ice, and the rich and varied ecosystem that accompanies it.

I submitted this to They Draw and Travel, like I did the other three maps. I hope they're not getting sick of me. :p

And since this phenomenon occurs year after year, I've decided to let this count as my Illustration Friday submission for the topic "perennial."

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so behind on my blog visits...these maps are wonderful!! And I'm willing to bet that no one else submitted a map of a drift ice tour! No way are they getting sick of you...you have some gems here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! and such evocative names...Okhotsk, faraway places...sigh (but not for you I guess :P ). PS I love the angels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and unique illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Both interesting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful illustration! I bet the silvery blue color of the ice is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete